Author Archives: johnandellen
We are headed north on our “Northeast Tour”! Hope you can meet us at the playground (in Voorheesville, NY) Saturday 10/12!
So we didn’t mean to keep anyone in suspense but we made it through the Hurricane Dorian with no problems! 😅😉 It was alot of work to board up the house but we stayed safe!
But on to the exciting news for this week for our Upstate New York friends and family:
We are excited to let you know
we are visiting upstate New York this week!👍🙌😊
We didn’t finalize dates until recently and recorded a special video for you all! We will be meeting anyone of you who wants to come and bring friends to hang out at the playground behind Voorheesville Elementary School in Voorheesville, NY. We’ll be leaving later that day for visiting family, friends, and ministry partners in New England as well.
Where: 129 Maple Ave, Voorheesville, NY 12186
When: 10am – 12pm, Saturday, October 12.
Bring a picnic lunch and come have some fun!
We hope you can join us!
Just a quick prayer request for all of our praying friends and family out there:
As you may have heard, Hurricane Dorian is a big one and is close to us. Many models are now saying it will brush up against the east coast like Matthew did in 2016. We would love a simple repeat of that!! But things can change easily and quickly last minute like Hurricane Charlie in 2004. We did board up pretty well last time we faced a hurricane (Irma, 2017). This brought some extra trips to the store. Same thing this time. But we are opting to stay rather than evacuate like last time.
So we still are not out of the woods. And neither are many of us who live here on the lower east coast. We are only 45 minute drive from Cape Canaveral and Cocoa Beach, but far enough inland in Orlando that we usually don’t get hit as hard as the beach towns.
Please pray for:
- Safety for us and our family and neighbors.
- Great opportunities to be Jesus to our neighbors and help as we are able in this situation.
- Endurance when we have small kids and may lose power for Air Conditioning and therefore have extra heat to deal with (it hits 85 – 90F most days, plus humidity).
- For emotional and physical strength when it’s hot and we are tired and a little (sometimes a lot!) stressed… to trust in Jesus and love one another well!
- The people of the Bahamas who have been devastated by the effects of the Hurricane. We met some Bahamians here and there in the spring and they are beautiful people, loved by God. So we have often been thinking of them in the aftermath of Dorian.
Thank you for your support and prayers as we provide safe spaces where men struggling with compulsive porn use and other addictions can experience hope, healing, and move towards thriving in who they really are in Christ!
I sent out a brief message about the epic Conquer Leadership Conference I attended, but forgot to share it here! We’ll be sending out a post conference update soon!!! But for now, Click below for details of my post on 7/19:
We hope you had an amazing Christmas with loved ones last week. As we approach the new year we think of all that has happened in our lives both personally and in ministry. Here are some highlights of our ministry this year:
This year Ellen:
- walked alongside of 25 people as they made critical changes toward living out more of who they were created to be in Christ, while serving 15 missionary women at Cru with her team!
- Completed all classwork, almost 90% of required coaching hours, obtained strengthsfinder and marriage coaching certifications, and is excited to finish her certificate in a few months!
- Began coaching/mentoring 2 group leaders in their recovery
- Led 3 support groups of 15 men to begin their recovery including 2 missionaries and a full-time pastor
- We made the huge transition to a new mission organization while Ellen continues to coach Cru missionary women part-time.
- We shared directly in person or by phone with over 273 individuals about our story of recovery and invited many of these to consider getting coaching or joining a support group. To hundreds more we sent an email with our story and similar invitation.
I (John) love investing in men who are brutally honest about their brokenness and who are willing to face the “giants” (fears) in their lives IN community to pursue Christ. Mark* is one such guy. Part of my role is coaching recovery group leaders like Mark on a regular basis. The past couple years he has been leading a few men in Albany through the same men’s recovery process that I lead others through. However, he has never had anyone mentor/coach him along the way.
Mark and I have been sharing real life struggles and victories with one another and he has been growing! This past month we were talking and even before I mentioned an idea he had thought of it!: I was going to challenge him to launch another support group for men struggling with porn and sex addiction at his church in Albany. He felt the same desire! The Lord had already led him to start one so he could bring more men through the same process.
After one of our recent coaching calls together talking about how to best lead men in the process, he said “Wow this is a GAME CHANGER!” It was a very encouraging time together. He had a great launch last month with a full group of six men, including a local church leader! It seems to be one of only a handful of such groups in the greater Capital Region based on my connections there.
Thank you for your prayers and financial support which allow Ellen and I to invest in people like Mark for the Kingdom.
Through us you are helping people like Mark to offer to others healing, hope, and opportunities to thrive through Christ. This is a GAME CHANGER for men their wives, and future generations they will impact!
John (for Ellen, Maddie Mae, Evie, and Noah)
Please Pray for Ellen’s outpatient surgery tomorrow, and more…
❧ For a couple local churches near us where John has been talking with men’s ministry leaders about launching men’s support groups
❧ For us to find a new home church.
❧ For our neighbors as we intentionally host families for meals at holidays and other opportunities to be Jesus to them.
❧ Thank you so much to so many of you who gave to help us with a replacement commuter car and Ellen’s outpatient surgery. God provided a great vehicle and her surgery is scheduled for Monday, December 3rd. Please Pray!
❧ For us to stay connected to the Lover of our Souls as we live and love and serve people and to be Jesus to our kids and one another.
❧ For increased financial and prayer support.
❧ For more support groups to start in Albany and Orlando and online where men can heal.
Click the thumbnail below to download a printable pdf version of this update but with fewer pictures. 🙂
*names are changed for confidentiality